Ryan Hicks has practiced civil litigation in state and federal courts since 1998, representing clients in personal injury and wrongful death claims arising from workplace negligence, toxic exposure, premises liability, products liability, and medical malpractice. Mr. Hicks has also represented clients in court and arbitrations for commercial claims including breaches of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, and securities law violations. He has successfully tried to verdict and settled claims against corporate and individual defendants, including energy companies, premises owners, ATV manufacturers, construction companies, lumber mills, airlines, investment firms and banks.
Mr. Hicks received a B.A. in history from the University of Oklahoma. He received his J.D. from the University of Houston while also studying Mexican law at the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, and working for the firm of Ancona y Prat in Mexico City.
- Boudreaux v. Weyerhaeuser Co., 448 P3d 121 (Wash.App. Div. 1 2019), reversing dismissal of toxic exposure claims on behalf of over 50 clients.
- Mosely v. Wood Group, No. 18-30523, In the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, representing injured offshore worker under Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act.
- Voces v. ERT, G.O.M., et al., No. 16-20611, In the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, representing deceased offshore worker under Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act.
- Spenrath v. Guardian Life Insurance Co., Inc., No. 13-20196, In the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, representing disabled worker in ERISA claim.
- Alpert v. Riley, 274 S.W. 3d 277 (Tex. App. – Houston [1st Dist.], no pet.), representing Trustor and Beneficiaries against Trustee.
- Susan Combs, Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts v. B.A.R.D. Industries, 299 S.W. 3d (Tex. App. – Austin, no pet), representing corporation in claims for taking, seizure, and due process claims.
- Lawrence Marshall Dealerships v. Ian Meltzer, In the Fourteenth Court of Appeals, Houston, Texas, representing individual in breach of contract claims.
- FCA Const. Co. v. J&G Plumbing Services, In the First Court of Appeals, Houston, Texas, representing plumbing company against Lifetime Fitness development company.
- Tajonera v. Black Elk Energy, et al.; Voces v. Black Elk Energy, et al., In the United State District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, representing families of two deceased offshore workers under Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act.
- Black v. Kawasaki, 13th Judicial Court Valencia County, New Mexico, representing minor in catastrophic head injury case against ATV manufacturer.
- Harris v. Finger Construction Company, et al., In the 61st District Court of Harris County, Texas, representing construction worker who fell 6 stories at construction site.
- State of Texas v. Ali Yazdchi, In the 11th District Court of Harris County, Texas, representing individual in civil seizure claims brought by State of Texas.
- Abaday v. Beau Rivage Resorts, Inc., et al, In the United States District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi, representing human trafficking victims against employment agencies and employers.
- IDT v. Merrill Lynch & Co., Inc., FINRA arbitration representing corporation’s claims arising from sale of auction rate securities.
- Kneese, et al. v. Pershing, LLC, In the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, represented plaintiffs against clearing agent in Stanford Securities litigation.
- Friedman, et al. v. Penson Worldwide, Inc., In the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, represented class against clearing broker.
- Morgan v. Amegy Bank National Association, JAMS arbitration, represented individual against bank in claims related to real estate development.
- MRI Playa Vista, LP v. Bronze Queen Management, In the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas, represented real estate partnerships in contract claims.